• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

News: SNS-HDR v1.3.8 to SNS-HDR v1.4.19

Hi Cem,

I just had a quick play with the new version. I like the masks obviously, as they add immense value by providing local adjustments. But I don't know how the brush is supposed to behave when the intelligent selection button is pressed; is it color range based perhaps?
The color and brightness range.

How do we change the size of the mask brush by the way? Or is it fixed?
Brush size is dependent on the zoom of the image.

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sebastian,

The color and brightness range.

Brush size is dependent on the zoom of the image.
Thanks for the info. These things are not self explanatory and unfortunately you don't yet have a documentation which describes them. Perhaps you can use the tutorial section of your newly established SNS-HDR user forum? The title of the forum suggests that the tutorials are to be user submitted but you as the author should get the basic functionality documented imo.

Here is my first user contribution. When creating a mask with the brush, left-click paints on the mask. But it is not clear how to erase mask portions if one paints too much. I had to try different key strokes (such as alt-click, shift-click, etc) and have eventually found out that right-click does the job. By the way, erasing also respects the intelligent selection criteria which can be used in a positive way to just erase certain pixels. The initial point of the click defines what this will be. But if one needs to erase a painted area no matter what, one has to switch off the intelligent selection first. All in all, it works well if one is used to it.

The brush size remains constant and by zooming the picture in and out one can achieve finer/coarser brushes. It works, but it is not very intuitive at the beginning. Those who use photoshop are used to changing the diameter of the brush while keeping the zoom level constant.

Finally, no input on sharpening slider yet? That is the one which interests me a lot.

Thanks again.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thanks!

That aside and a serious point here, this software is not just good but very good. We've already established that. All it needs is a good website and good documentation (both in English) and Sebastian will be right up there among the top in the HDR world, not just for his product which is already superior but for the sales numbers and web/forum/blog recognition. Before I came here I'd never heard of SNS but believe me I'd heard of all the other big boys, all of whose products IMO pale in comparison.

Cummon Sebastion, won't take much to make you as well known as all the loony cartoony HDR programs...

Thanks!

That aside and a serious point here, this software is not just good but very good. We've already established that. All it needs is a good website and good documentation (both in English) and Sebastian will be right up there among the top in the HDR world, not just for his product which is already superior but for the sales numbers and web/forum/blog recognition. Before I came here I'd never heard of SNS but believe me I'd heard of all the other big boys, all of whose products IMO pale in comparison.

Or how about this review for an endorsement. BTW The reviewer Christian Bloch is the author of 'The HDRI Handbook', and an acclaimed Visual Effects Artist. He knows his way around in HDRI stuff. I like his remark:
Christian Bloch on his HDRlabs.com website said:
I'm just coming from a review marathon of 20 HDR programs for the upcoming book revision. Turned out that one application really stood out from the crowd. I figured it would be mean to not share this with you right away, because you can most certainly use it for some great photography in the meantime.

I agree with his observation. I've been doing HDRI and HDRI tonemapping for a long time and have tried most programs around, nothing really matches SNS-HDR (which supposedly also works on a Mac running Parallels).

Cummon Sebastion, won't take much to make you as well known as all the loony cartoony HDR programs...

I suppose Sebastian is more a programmer (which he does very well) than a manual writer or marketeer. Maybe the new SNS-HDR forum will become the repository for collected knowledge of SNS matters.

Cheers,
Bart

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for making a good program even better. Unfortunately some of the (e.g. histogram clipping indicator) requested features earlier in this thread didn't make it in this release version yet, but I remain hopeful...

Cheers,
Bart
I agree. The histogram clipping indicator is an absolute must have!

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Is it possible to be able to type in values for the various sliders as well? It's a lot faster for me to type '0' than to painstakingly move the slider with that much accuracy.

BTW when I use the arrow keys to move the numbers, the up key makes the numbers go down and visa versa.

Cem_Usakligil

...BTW when I use the arrow keys to move the numbers, the up key makes the numbers go down and visa versa.
Yes, that is true:

UP/LEFT Arrow: decreases value. It should have been DOWN/LEFT.

DOWN/RIGHT Arrow: increases value. It should have been UP/LEFT.

One can also use PG UP / PG DOWN: which decreases or increases the value in steps of 10. The sequence should be reversed here too.

And then: HOME: lowest possible value, END: Highest possible value. This sequence is correct.

Yes, that is true:

UP/LEFT Arrow: decreases value. It should have been DOWN/LEFT.

DOWN/RIGHT Arrow: increases value. It should have been UP/LEFT.

I've heard similar remarks about Oloneo software. Apparently it has to do with 'normal' Windows interpretation (in the Dot Net modules) of the arrow keys. The Up/Down arrow keys should be used for a vertical slider, the Left/Right arrow keys for horizontal sliders.

Having said that, I agree that the Microsoft choice for Up/Down arrows on a horizontal slider, while silly, reacts counter intuitive. I'm not sure if Sebastian can reverse the Microsoft design choice.

Cheers,
Bart

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Is it possible to have an ability to pan round a zoomed image by pressing spacebar while moving the mouse like in photoshop/LR/ACR? It's quite difficult to paint a complex mask when you have to scroll along with the bars at the side and bottom. Or am I just missing something?

For the registered version you need to use the download link that was sent to you together with the registration confirmation email.
Thanks for that, Bart. I was caught by it too, but hadn't saved a file so didn't notice.

Norton 360 quarantined the download. I had to turn Norton off and download again.
I didn't get a quarantine problem when I downloaded it using the correct link though I did get a warning because less than five Norton users had downloaded it. Maybe I got the quarantine earlier because then I was the first.

Also, thanks for the link to that review, Bart. In the linked video introduction, I found about the regional adjustments. I hadn't found them previously because I had been running batch updates, then modifying the SNS file and resaving the TIFF. The regional adjustments are available when you modify a RAW file or a TIFF but not an SNS.

Perhaps another update for that, Sebastian?

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Thank you Sebastian! You've made an incredible effort with 1.4, hope you don't mind the suggestions, it's not wingeing, just trying to help.

The regional adjustments are available when you modify a RAW file or a TIFF but not an SNS.
Perhaps another update for that, Sebastian?
I'd like to withdraw this request. It wasn't working for me in the images I tried at the time for some reason but has been subsequently.

One minor enhancement that would be nice would be to retain Lightroom keywords. Currently I am exporting to TIFFs (that retain the keywords) but when I re-import the processed TIFFs to Lightroom, the keywords have gone.